Monday, December 22, 2008

Personality Page Disaster

So, i have been seeing a career counselor. It's a service provided for free through GG since we're losing our jobs. I think it's great. She sends along job postings, completely rewrites your resume and practically writes your cover letters for you, and of course tries to guide you along a career path. Get you through that, "Well what now?" phase. Well, this annoyed me from the beginning because the moment i met her she looked at me like this crazy girl. "You want to go back to school?" "Oh, you want to go back for radiation therapy?" She can't comprehend why someone on my career path in Merchandising would want to give that up and randomly return back to school. I don't fault her for questioning my motives and making sure I'm not taking crazy pills, and in time she did grow to understand me and the fact that the office setting I'm in now is off the beaten path for me from before.

Now from the moment she started with me she wanted me to go to this http://www.personalitypage.com/ and take my personality test. It was because "she" wanted to get a good feel for the kind of person i am and therefore what work setting would work better for me and all that goodness. I was strongly opposed to this in the beginning. I know the type of results those type of tests kick out. Half of it yeah, it usually nails it on the spot, then about a quarter of it is questionable, leaving that last quarter to be completely falsified information! So i see her again and she asks, did you ever go take the personality test. Which clearly was no. In her polite little ways she summed it up to being required. I was opposed because i feared for what inevitably happened. Turns out i am an ESTP-The Doer. Extraverted Sensing Thinking Perceiving.

ESTPs are outgoing, straight-shooting types. Enthusiastic and excitable, ESTPs are "doers" who live in the world of action. Blunt, straight-forward risk-takers, they are willing to plunge right into things and get their hands dirty. They live in the here-and-now, and place little importance on introspection or theory. The look at the facts of a situation, quickly decide what should be done, execute the action, and move on to the next thing.

ESTPs have an uncanny ability to perceive people's attitudes and motivations. They pick up on little cues which go completely unnoticed by most other types, such as facial expressions and stance. They're typically a couple of steps ahead of the person they're interacting with. ESTPs use this ability to get what they want out of a situation. Rules and laws are seen as guidelines for behavior, rather than mandates. If the ESTP has decided that something needs to be done, then their "do it and get on with it" attitude takes precendence over the rules. However, the ESTP tends to have their own strong belief in what's right and what's wrong, and will doggedly stick to their principles. The Rules of the Establishment may hold little value to the ESTP, but their own integrity mandates that they will not under any circumstances do something which they feel to be wrong.
ESTPs have a strong flair for drama and style. They're fast-moving, fast-talking people who have an appreciation for the finer things in life. They may be gamblers or spendthrifts. They're usually very good at story telling and improvising. They typically makes things up as they go along, rather than following a plan. They love to have fun, and are fun people to be around. They can sometimes be hurtful to others without being aware of it, as they generally do not know and may not care about the effect their words have on others. It's not that they don't care about people, it's that their decision-making process does not involve taking people's feelings into account. They make decisions based on facts and logic


That all flowed pretty well. Some things nailed me quite perfectly, while other things i had to sit and think. Nonetheless your standard personality test results UNTIL the inevitable, which i had so notably feared. Ready for that last quarter of what i consider falsified info..

The ESTP often has trouble in school, especially higher education which moves into realms where theory is more important. The ESTP gets bored with classes in which they feel they gain no useful material which can be used to get things done. The ESTP may be brilliantly intelligent, but school will be a difficult chore for them.

Oh, well isn't that fanfuckingtastic. BS if you ask me.. Why would these Freudians or whoever concocted this (online let me remind you) standardized personality test even feel the urge to add this in there. Simply to kick one while down? Isn't that just what the career counselor wants to see. Keep in mind this career counselor is the gateway to my future. She can approve or deny my training proposal to request funding from the state to go to school based on losing my job. Not that i wouldn't go if i can't get funded, but it sure would make it that much more easy. A bit peeved if i do say so myself. But then there was this, again, very blackmailing type information for my career counselor...

Possible Career Paths for the ESTP:
Sales Representatives
Marketing Personnel
Police / Detective Work
Paramedic / Emergency Medical Technician
PC Technicians or Network Cablers
Computer Technical Support
Entrepreneurs


Sales, Marketing.. this is the path that I'm on. Coincident? Probably. Considering I've been doing that the last five years so of course I'm going to answer questions in relation to those jobs, it's all i know right now. What i was hoping for was something like doctor, caretaker, something that would scream "This girls personality is telling her she's meant to go to school and work in the medical field!!!!"

In the spirit of "doing" i therefore decide to go DO something about it. So, shamefully.... Yes, i flipped through the other profiles until i found the one that best fit what i needed it to be for my career goals. Don't you judge me! No other profiles got low balled the way i did. It doesn't matter anyways as I'm not a very good liar and fell through on telling her which one i tested towards truthfully.

ick. darn morals.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

That cracks me up! I've been an ENTJ since the first time I've taken the MB.

Too funny!

Heather said...

I demand a re-do of mine! I'll have to pop back on and see what yours means. Maybe it was one of my go-to replacements :)