Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Kentucky Fried Lies

I’m not much of a fast food person. Usually McDonald’s will make me feel worse than I felt when I was starving enough to actually stomach it. The same is applicable for any other fast food nightmare including but not limited to Wendy’s, Burger King, Hardees or even Taco Bell. Reluctantly, I will admit to this one thing. KFC is my guilty pleasure. The thought of eating the chicken makes me want to vomit in my mouth a little, but the mashed potatoes, coleslaw, and heaven in the form of a biscuit is enough to over rule any bad thoughts of ingesting genetically engineered chicken. I just can’t resist the chicken strips dipped in honey. I’ve been a honey dipping chicken lover my whole life. I would even eat McNuggies from McDonalds if it meant being able to dip it in honey. Really, I don’t even need the chicken, just the honey. The chicken is but merely an accessory for my honey crazed appetite.

So, it was on this KFC lunch run today that I was so blissfully and obliviously eating my genetically engineered chicken dipped in honey when I happened to glance over my half torn packet of honey like goodness. 11% REAL HONEY! Seriously? 11%?? And then it didn’t even list what the other 89% of the ingredients were. 11% is hardly enough of a percentage to call something what it clearly is not. I’m sure glad the chicken doesn’t come in its own sealed packaging; otherwise I may have had to read 11% chicken.

I left what would usually have been a very gratifying lunch feeling empty inside. With the holidays I can’t help but feel as though I had just found out Santa isn’t real. This leaves me to wonder.. What have I been dipping my fake chicken in all these years?

I guess I will just stick to my homemade lunches consisting of peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Using honey purchased from the farmers market of course. Au natural.

No comments: